Home Health Aide Diploma Program
Southern Technical Institute’s Home Health Aide Diploma program prepares students for employment as a home health aide. Students are instructed how to maintain bodily and emotional comfort and to assist the client toward independent living in a safe environment. After successful completion of the Home Health Aide training program, students receive a 165 hour diploma as a Home Health Aide. In addition, comparisons between Home Health Aide and Nursing Assistant requirements in the State of Florida are made.
The Home Health Aide Diploma program adheres to the rules and regulations of the Florida Department of Education. The instructors are not only qualified to teach but have hands-on experience in the workplace and bring important perspectives to the class.
To register and enroll for the Home Health Aide Diploma Program, Students must meet the following Requirements:
- Possess a high school diploma or GED; and
- Be at least 18 years old; and
- Be able to communicate effectively in English.
To receive a Home Health Aide Diploma, student must successfully complete the following two classes:
Health Science Classes (90 Hours)
This introductory course provides an overview of the health care field. Health Science classes offers a solid foundation for all students in health sciences or health occupations, regardless of the particular health care profession they are pursuing. Content includes coverage of health care career opportunities, vital signs, medical terminology, cultural diversity, anatomy and physiology.read more...
The Health Science classes also cover some of the certifications required by many Home Health Agencies prior to employment. Health Science classes include the following certifications upon successful completion:
- Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders – Approved by Florida Department of Elder Affairs
- American Heart Association BLS (CPR) for New Healthcare Providers
- American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid
- Assisting with Death and Dying
- Domestic Violence
- Prevention of Falls in the Elderly
- HIV/AIDS & Blood Borne Pathogens
- Infection Control & Protecting Yourself and Others from Tuberculosis
- Legal and Ethical Concepts: How to protect your License
- Prevention of Medical Errors
Health Science Core Waiver: Southern Technical Institute offers credit for the Health Science portion of our programs for those students who can provide transcripts for the equivalent course from another post-secondary school; or for those students who have 1000 documented hours working as a Florida Certified Nurse Assistant and who can successfully pass the health science core competency test.
Home Health Aide Classes (75 Hours)
The Home Health Aide training course provides skilled knowledge for a career as a Home Health Aide. Home Health Aide classes include: legal and ethical responsibilities; communication skills; basic human needs; a safe, clean, and healthy home environment; human development; nutritional needs; emergency care; personal care; special care and rehabilitation needs of the client; household management; record-keeping; pet-facilitated therapy; and employability skills.
At the completion of this Home Health Aide training students will be able to:
- Use verbal and written communication specific to Home Health Aide;
- Demonstrate legal and ethical responsibilities specific to Home Health Aide;
- Perform physical comfort and safety functions specific to Home Health Aide;
- Provide personal patient care;
- Perform patient care procedures;
- Apply principles of nutrition;
- Provide care for geriatric patients;
- Apply the principles of infection control specific to Home Health Aide;
- Provide biological, psychological, and social support;
- Perform supervised organizational functions, following the patient plan of care;
- Assist with restorative (rehabilitative) activities;
- Perform home-health-care services.
After successful completion of Health Science and Home Health Aide classes, student will receive a 165 Hour Home Health Aide Diploma.
Southern Technical Institute offers Health Science Diploma Programs that give the student an opportunity to train for a healthcare related career using traditional classroom and work-related training in a clinical setting. The Home Health Aide Diploma program adheres to the rules and regulations of the Florida Department of Education. The instructors are not only qualified to teach but have hands-on experience in the workplace and bring important perspectives to the class.
In an effort to make our programs affordable, a student may enroll for the entire program and at the time of registration, either pays for the entire program, or selects an interest-free payment plan. At the successful completion of the entire diploma program students receive a diploma indicating the successful clock hours completed.